Chateau Laguiole was the first Laguiole corkscrew to be created, dated back 1992, by French Master Sommelier Guy Vialis. The first “sommelier knife” to have adopted and adapted the ancestral handcrafting traditions and symbols of the Laguiole master cutlers, including the famous bee and the art of polishing fine handles made of precious woods and horns. In addition, Chateau Laguiole provides a much appreciated after sales service and a lifetime warranty.
Melchior Series: the corkscrews of this series are crafted to spotlight the magnificence of the precious woods & horns. Melchior is one of the latest series of Chateau Laguiole, launched in 2020.
The Melchior series is a combined evolution of the Grand Crus Series and of the Versailles series : a unique wide beveled bolster at the top, reminding a Grand Cru, with a long flared handle, wider in its extremity than the Versailles series. With this design, the Melchior series imposes its presence and allows an excellent and comfortable grip.
The series was named Melchior as a wink to the biggest bottle of wine: 18 liters, the equivalent of 24 bottles of 75cl. The name Melchior itself finds its roots in the Bible: Melchior was one of the Persian kings, symbol of Wisdom. He is one of the 3 Wise men bringing gold as to Jesus as a symbolic gift.
Handle model: This specific model is made of Desert Ironwood (Olneya tesota) from north west Mexico. As its name suggests, this wood is extremely hard and heavy. It offers a beautiful finish and polish aspect, enhanced by its shiny bolsters. Its color is highly variable from a piece to another: ironwood color ranges from orange to darker red or brown, with darker violet to black streaks.
Brand: CHATEAU LAGUIOLE, made in France
We recommend: Never wash the handle with water. Water will damage the precious woods and horn. To give back its shine or clear fingerprints, we highly recommend to use a microfiber fabric.
Warranty: Chateau Laguiole offers a lifetime warranty. Accesswine.hk, official Chateau Laguiole dealer, will assist you in the process. Read more in our Q & A.
New 2020 model changes: in 2020, after almost 30 years of fame among sommeliers and wine enthusiasts, Chateau Laguiole revamps its mythic corkscrews for the better: a much-reinforced structure, a few visual differences worth noting and a new nice-looking gift box.
- Forged bee: the chiseled spring (central structure with decoration on the top) and the bee are now forged in 1 piece. As surprising as it sounds, the bee of Chateau Laguiole previous version was welded. Beside of a clean and clear aesthetic effect, it solves rare issues of the bee being broken after accidental fall of the corkscrew (fixed free under warrant).
The 2 plates just under the handle material are now thicker to seriously reduce the risk of dismantling the screw after years of use and hundreds of bottles opening (fixed free under warranty).
Stronger spring: at the bottom of the handle, the spring now slightly emerges to offer an additional protection to the handle from the screw when folding it.
- Thinner logo: visually, Chateau LAGUIOLE logo is now slightly thinner. It brings an additional touch of elegance.
- New gift box: the new genuine leather pouch of the Grand Cru & Classics series is as well better finished in our opinion.
- Stainless steel corkscrew + matte bolsters + Iron wood handle + dented blade (foil cutter)
- Black genuine leather pouch
- Gift box + Warranty member card